Monday, July 2, 2018

Luke 5:5

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 183: Today, I am grateful for Luke 5:5.

This one little verse has been a life verse of mine for many years. It one that resonates deeply with my soul... in the places few people see.

Why? 


Because, life is full of plot twists. We can make plans, but our God is in control. I am quick to forget that his way is better than my best ideas. 

Simon Peter, along with James and John, fished the seas with expertise. It was their business. They knew fish, the market, the reliable business people, the tides and watched the moon and rain cycles. These guys were experienced fishermen and businessmen. 

They had fished all night. They caught nothing. Then Jesus... the carpenter... tells them to put their nets back in the water - into the deep waters- after they were almost cleaned up for the night. Really? Who was this man to speak to them about their trade?

Something in Jesus voice must have moved them. Simon Peter resists at first, eager to explain their worthless haul of nothing. All night long... and not a minnow to show for it. Then Simon Peter steps out in trust with these words.

"...but because you say so, I will."  Luke 5:5 (NIV)

Here is another version:

"... but at your word, I will." Luke 5:5( ESV)

I will trust and obey... for there is no other way to step into life with Jesus. He is going to lead you down some goofy adventures. He will allow the nights with no haul... but then, in his time... the reward is full and overflowing. Sometimes, "the haul" is peace and peace of mind. 

Ben Geiger... I always think of you with this verse. I am glad you made it a life verse. And... Pastor Doane Brubaker for an unforgettable message that Ben and I keep in our hearts to remind us to trust your will and your ways. 

"...because you say so, I will." 

Today, I am grateful for Luke 5:5.

No comments:

Post a Comment