Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Love Letters

Year Six-Day 191: Today, I am grateful for love letters. 

The Love- of- my- Life is not a big writer, but I keep each hand written note. Each one is precious. I love seeing his handwriting, and yes... I can read it. It helps that I know his heart when a word is unsure. 

I have notes from my sister, April... and my sister-in-heart Jill... handwritten in cards that are so precious and dear. I had them both for 28 treasured years of growing and learning together. Their handwritten notes are like a hug from heaven. My father's handwriting pops up in unexpected places to make me smile. Precious are the the "love letters" we find in unexpected places from our loved ones no longer with us.

This is a snapshot from a journal kept by one of the two sisters leading my Bible Study this year ( A chronological walk through the New Testament.) The notes are from Tod Bush. Tod was active in the justice system, that desperately needs good men. He was a good man. He, also, supported Young Life. Tod died less than two years ago. Gone too soon for his family, co-workers and loved ones, but the Father's will allowed it. 

His wife,Robyn, has the journals Tod kept from his personal Bible study. What a gift. The man... working in the justice system... paid attention to details. His journals are like priceless love letters to His Lord and are now tangible keepsakes for his wife, children... and future grandchildren. 

Robyn, is sharing his notes with us each week as we walk through the New Testament the way Tod did not long before his death. Robyn's sister, Jann, is the other leader. Jann is my precious, faith filled, gifted Bible journaling friend. Jann, too, suffered an unexpected loss of a precious son just a few weeks ago. So, together, they grieve some more.

We... as members of the Bible Study... are grieving with them, but we rejoice in the knowledge of Jesus be present with them in our sorrows. We are together in prayer and in spirit.

Romans 12:15 comes up again: "Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who 
weep."

Tod would desperately chase the heart of Jesus in his studies and Robin sharing his personal reflections has allowed us all to know him and his heart. It is, as if, she is letting us read Tod's love letters to Christ. 

There are over 400 of us that are being impacted by Tod's journals every week. Satan gets no victory here. The earth feels the loss, but his life was lived to God's glory and that glory still sheds light. Robyn and Jann make a great team as they let us walk with them in joys and through the sorrows. 

Psalm 9:10 speaks: And those who know your name put their trust in you,  for you, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek you. 

God is able! He does his best work through people with faithful, trusting hearts. Rather than planning and evaluating... practice trusting and thanking God continually. Good stuff! 

I am grateful for Robyn and Jann... and for Tod's faithfulness to take notes in his study time. We have journals for the study. I have not been as faithful in the writing portion as I wanted to be, but I am not giving up on it. It is an amazing study and a constant reminder His Word lives and breathes. The Bible is his love letter to us, telling us the story of his faithfulness throughout generation after generation. 

For the Lord will not forsake his people; he will not abandon his heritage; -Psalm 94:14

He does not abandon his children. Even when we walk through the shadowed valleys... he is with us always. 

 Today, I am grateful for love letters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment