Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Coasters

Daily Gratitude Year 6- Day 184: Today, I am grateful for Coasters.

I was gifted with two coasters at my last birthday. One has a faith related saying and one has a sun that sits at my writing desk to hold my coffee as I seek the Son before the sun rises. Then, there are the glass coasters we use as needed. They came from a home crystal party that my friend Carol had many years ago. I smile and think of her when I see them, although she moved to the Washington, DC area many years ago. 

Each is a "prayer trigger" for the friends who gave them to me. Julie and Kim have long been a part of my life... and my walk with Christ each week. They are two sisters in faith that I have been blessed to do life with for many years. Carol is a kind heart and generous spirit who taught me much in our time together, and the crystal coasters remind me of her. 

Coasters protect furniture and other items when the cup is too hot or two cold. When condensation would cause a water ring, the coaster protects. To protect, it must be laid down.  It must be in place. Knowing I have coasters does me no good, unless I actually use them. 

How many go through life with access to Jesus and the life-lifting, sinner seeking, radical recovering, power of his love and grace, but they leave it on the shelf and never access it? The Bible collects dust on the shelf. The truth that brings hope and light is left unopened. 

In extreme heat, how many would sit in an air-conditioned home without turning on the air conditioner? Or... for those of you in the middle winter ...  would you sit in a cold house, without turning on the working heater? That would be silly! 

To play with the English language... and I can't help it... we cannot coast across the finish line on the faith of our fathers and mothers. Each must choose for themselves. He is waiting for the invitation to make our hearts His home and our lives his living legacy. 


For through him we both have access in one Spirit to the Father. -Ephesians 2:18 

This passage was written to Jews and Gentiles, so they would both understand that access to the Father was available for all. Here it is in The Message:

Christ brought us together through his death on the cross. The Cross got us to embrace, and that was the end of the hostility. Christ came and preached peace to you outsiders and peace to us insiders. He treated us as equals, and so made us equals. Through him we both share the same Spirit and have equal access to the Father. -Ephesians 2:16-18 (MSG)

He advocates for us, but we are free to choose who has lordship in our lives. We must choose. 

When things too sweaty or too hot... choose the coaster... use the coaster. Stick with the coaster for all of your days, and you will prevent many troubles. 

Today, I am grateful for Coasters.

No comments:

Post a Comment