Thursday, November 7, 2019

Winter Cloaks

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 311: Today, I am grateful for winter cloaks.

I love a cape. I always have. I am my mother's daughter. 

Randy purchased a beautiful wool cape for me for one of our Christmases as a married couple. It was from Banana Republic and it was made out of what appeared to be Army Blanket wool. It matched my Dad's army blankets. I loved that cape. It was so warm and cozy... and it had a hood. The best capes do.

This image makes me smile. A red cape is a fashion statement in any season. There is something elegant and just a little mysterious about a woman in a hooded red cape. 

Winter cloaks are a necessity when you live in the Midwest and other cold regions where winter means deep freezes and snow. Today, it is literally freezing in our little village. It won't last, but it is a whisper of what is to come in the months ahead. I refuse to let winter take us too soon. I am declaring today too cold for fall... but it is just a cold snap; winter isn't welcome, yet. Old man winter must wait his turn, but the winter cloaks are sometimes necessary. 

We must remember to care for the widows, the elderly and children who don't have enough to wear to keep themselves warm. We can donate the extras we don't wear or purchase new ones for coat drives. It is good to be thankful for the coats in our closets.

"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you." -James 1:27 

That is one of my favorite verses. It reminds me that love in action is a vital part of sharing the gospel. It points the way to Jesus.

Today, I am grateful for winter cloaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment