Friday, July 3, 2020

God Bless The USA

Year 8-Day 185: Today, I am grateful for Lee Greenwood's "God Bless The USA". 

For my family and friends who sit with us every year at out 4th of July Red, White & Boom celebration, they know that I rate the success of the show partially by whether or not Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" is included. I think it was only missed on year. It is my favorite patriotic song. I sums up, to me, what it means to be a child of these United States of America. 

This is a new version with some soldiers joining their voices with Lee's.  You can watch it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=14&v=gs0fxy8rHo8&feature=emb_logo

We are all so different, yet we are the same, too. We have dreams for our children and families. We want safety, freedom, education and justice for all. We long to see peace in our cities and village. We long to see grain that grows with clean air and clean water. 

This is the strangest 4th of July in my lifetime. Celebrations will be small and at home for most. No people watching in the big crowds. No card games with our people. No tossing a ball with the little ones. Perhaps, this year we will reflect more on the history. 

Not all of our history is pretty, but it is still our history. Those who don't learn from their mistakes are doomed to repeat them. It is why we have the ability to amend the constitution, although amendments are rare. Since 1789, the Constitution has been amended 27 times. The first 10 are collectively known as the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights was signed on December 15, 1791.There have only been 17 additional amendments put in place and two of those were surrounding prohibition. 

Interpretation of The Constitution falls to the Supreme Court for the final say. It is a huge responsibility. 

This was my verse of the day:

"Godliness makes a nation great, but sin is a disgrace to any people."-Proverbs 14:34

In recent weeks, "if my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." has been stuck in my head. Ear Worm knows it well. It is from 2 Chronicles 7:14 The directive is clear. 

I want God to bless the USA. Will we humble ourselves, pray and seek His face? When singing "God Bless The USA", I am reminded of my many blessings of health, family, friends, a living faith and home. 

Today, I am grateful for Lee Greenwood's "God Bless The USA". 



No comments:

Post a Comment