Thursday, July 2, 2020

The Practice of Compassion

Year 8-Day 184: Today, I am grateful for the practice of compassion. 

Yes, it is a practice. Some people are naturally more empathetic, but compassion is an intentional practice. 

"Compassion is not a virtue-- it is a commitment. It's not something we have or don't have -- it is something we choose to practice. -Brene Brown 

We had an unexpected death in our circle of friends at church. A husband,father, grandfather and friend. His name was Randy. He was one of the best. He was a servant leader in all ways. 

Then, a second death occurred. This time... a dear mother, wife, grandmother and for us... pew buddies. Less than 48 hours later. June took her first breath of heaven, too. She always had the best smile and a kind word. I remember one year when I was in the thick of VBS, she brought us a meal. My guy and I will miss her, too. 

Yes, two special people stepped into heaven in two days time. Amazing for them, but the rest of us feel the loss. 

With death comes weeping and rejoicing. Joy and sorrow are better shared. I still love this verse that reminds me of the importance of compassion:

"Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." - Romans 12:15

Hear the instruction. Make the choice. Embrace the moment. Be present. 

Today, I am grateful for the practice of compassion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment