Saturday, July 11, 2020

Year Markers

Year 8-Day 192: Today, I am grateful for year markers. 

The years go by so quickly. If you are twenty-something and think time is going by faster and faster... wait a few years and you will enter warp speed. 

It is good to celebrate the year markers. It causes us to pause and take in the past, the present and the future. Every day and each mile marker are a worthy some reflection. 

These are two of my favorite pictures of us. One is from our wedding day... and the other is more recent. In this season of more mature love, I can't help but celebrate the many ways he makes me laugh as he shows me love every single day. 

I was always grateful that in an era of posed wedding pictures, our photographer caught this moment between us. It was one our favorites from the day. Walker is responsible for capturing this image at a family photo shoot. He and my dear neighbor, Susie, helped so I could be included in a few pictures. 

I do not really enjoy having my picture taken. I'd rather be behind the lens. I am learning that it is important to hand over the camera on occasion. (Donna Davis Roth... you are always good about making me do this. I truly appreciate it!) Pictures are a form of year markers. which is why I continue to try for family Christmas card pictures. 

The scriptures are full of reminders to mark the years... the moments and the milestones. We humans have short memories and those memories get shorter as the years go by. God tells us often to "remember". 

Examples from scripture include: remembering God's covenant to not flood the earth with a rainbow, Joshua had them place stones of remembrance as they entered the promised land, Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me." as he served the last supper. That is just a sprinkle of the times we are told to "remember". 


The Sabbath is a day God instructed us to remember His goodness, to learn of His greatness, to study His Word and to celebrate His faithfulness. There are 52 Sabbaths in a year. On January 1st, the liturgical calendar begins again. 

I can't help but think of the Passover celebration that is celebrated to this day in Jewish homes. A Passover Seder meal is a wonderful way to teach our children of God's rescue of the children of Israel from slavery in Egypt. 


"This is a day to remember. Each year, from generation to generation, you must celebrate it as a special festival to the Lord. This is a law for all time. For seven days the bread you eat must be made without yeast. On the first day of the festival, remove every trace of yeast from your homes. Anyone who eats bread made with yeast during the seven days of the festival will be cut off from the community of Israel." -Exodus 12:14-15

When wedding anniversaries roll around, it is very common for a couple to celebrate with a special meal or at a special place. Year markers matter. Birthdays are another year marker that is marked with parties and celebrations. We have so many family birthdays is July and August and some anniversaries, too. I need to pause and let the gift of another year resonate in my soul. 

Today, I am grateful for year markers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment