Wednesday, June 1, 2022

The Gift of Laughter

Daily Gratitude Year 10- Day 152: Today, I am grateful my spouse makes me laugh.

The Love of My Life it quick-witted with an extra helping of sarcasm. He makes me laugh. One sweet thing about so many years together is knowing what your spouse thinks is funny. 

Laughter adds a richness to life that helps carry us through tough times and it increases our joy in the good times, too. Laughing with family is the best. They are the ones who get tickled at the same things. There are inside jokes and no need to explain why you are cracking up at what should be a serious moment. 

I will never forget my Aunt Bonnie's funeral. My three cousins, Tara Jo, Crystal and Molly were filled with the grief we all shared that day. The three of them were more like sisters than cousins. At one point, they started laughing and it was nearly contagious. Our hearts were broken, but shared laughter kept everyone glued together. 

I liked this verse: 

Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with shouts of joy; then they said among the nations, “The Lord has done great things for them.” -Psalm 126:2

Joy and laughter are frequent companions. Together, everything is better. 

If I gathered Randy's side and said, "We're walking... We're walking... "  we'd be swept back to a day at Epcot with most of his siblings. Disney has no training for a pack of Smiths off-leash. There is always laughter. 

Matt and I always have at least one episode of hysterics when on vacation or sharing a holiday together. Sometimes, Jennifer and Randy are laughing themselves breathless with us. Other times, they are shaking their heads in wonder... wondering what in the world struck us funny. Add in our kids... and some of the cousins... and our souls are lightened. 

At the end of the day, it Is my guy who brings me the most laughter. I'm so glad he doesn't take life too seriously. 

Today, I am grateful my spouse makes me laugh.


No comments:

Post a Comment