Monday, July 18, 2022

Quilts and Holli

 Daily Gratitude Year 10- Day 197: Today, I am grateful for my treasured friend, Holli, and a beautiful quilt stitched with love.

There is nothing like a quilt for comfort. It is even more special when handmade by someone special. My dear friend, Holli, made me this quilt. It is in the colors of St. Thomas (my happy place) ... and it makes my heart happy. The best part is, she has one that matches it, she made for herself. I love knowing that we are covered in sister quilts.

She does things I cannot do. Her gifts are different from mine. My life is richer because she is in my world. Over the years, she has become like a big sister. Our days have been woven together over the past ten years. What was once a new relationship has grown into something comfortable, warm and true.

I do not have the patience for quilting. The art of it intrigues me, but the practice of it overwhelms me. By comparison, I can spend hours getting a photo just right. What's the difference? When we enjoy the work, the labor brings joy.

Did you know beautifully stitched garments stretch back in the time at least as far as the Israelite exodus? They had few resources but what they had they gave to God. Only the most skilled person would stitch the garment for Aaron and his sons.

"the beautifully stitched garments for the priests to wear while ministering in the Holy Place—the sacred garments for Aaron the priest, and the garments for his sons to wear as they minister as priests.” - Exodus 35:19

The coziness of a quilt is a gift for today, tomorrow and beyond.

Today, I am grateful for my treasured friend, Holli, and a beautiful quilt stitched with love.






No comments:

Post a Comment