Thursday, July 7, 2022

Quiet Contentment

Daily Gratitude Year 10- Day 188: Today, I am grateful for quiet contentment.

There is something special about being able to sit together in quiet. Silences are not awkward when there is a deep and abiding relationship. The Love of My Life and I have had 37 years together, with nearly 35 of them as husband and wife. 

How can that be possible? It feels like a blink. Trust me, the years have flown by. 

I think one of the things that comes with seasoned love and other long friendships is the comfort in simply being together, no matter what you are doing. You can almost read each other's thoughts so words are not always necessary. Best friends do it, too. It isn't limited to marriage. 

Contentment in the silences allows space for new thoughts, dreams and ideas to grow. It is okay to slow down and take a deep breath. 

When I think about our spiritual lives, do we make room for quiet contentment? One of my life verses has been Psalm 46:10-

"He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.”

The scripture is quoted often, but only the first half, Note the pause! After He declares HE IS GOD, there is a pause. The verse continues to remind us that HE will be exalted! Lifted up and glorified, because HE IS, HE was and HE will be. All those "be" verb forms. And we get to choose TO BE with Him,  in quiet contentment. 

He says to the weary and the burdened... "Come... and I will give you rest." It is all about relationship.

Today, I am grateful for quiet contentment.




No comments:

Post a Comment