Saturday, July 23, 2022

Patient... Not Late

 Daily Gratitude Year 10- Day 202: Today, I am grateful for those who are patient for my sake. 

One of the most patient souls in my world is my friend, Cindy. Everyone should have at least one Cindy in their life. A teacher and a librarian, she knows so many things and I think her head is like a rolodex of information. She is a quick learner, hard worker and enjoys trying new things. She is retired, but she is far from old.  She is a gift to all of us who get to share her days (Thank you  Don and Mother Jennings for sharing her with us) . 

Learning new things is good for our minds. It isn't always easy.  Sometimes, we stretch with ease. Sometimes, we ride the struggle bus. I have learned that riding the struggle bus helps me cement the new learning and makes it stick. I don't always like it, but there is a benefit.  Things I learn quickly are often as easily forgotten.

What comes fast and easy is not always good for us. Fad diets have long been risky. Slow and steady wins the race.  God created certain parameters that we can't really cheat on for long. In the end, His way is always best, right and good.  His patience is to be emulated. 

Most healthy growth and learning relies on a certain amount of discomfort. A good example is building up endurance or strength in our bodies. It takes time, work and patience. It is not instant gratification.  

How many times does our Lord allow us to struggle for our own benefit? Do we perceive him to be slow, uninterested or uncaring? I hope not. The scriptures are full of promises that contradict such thoughts.  We are often in one of His training programs, even if we are unaware. 

There is a big difference between slow and late. Our God is slow to anger, but He never shows up late. When He says it is time, we had better be ready. 

"The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent." -2 Peter 3:9 NLT 

Such a powerful verse. He is not slow or late. Are we going to be ready when the timer goes off? 

Thank you Cindy for being an example of patience, sprinkling salt and adding light to the world. 

Today, I am grateful for those who are patient for my sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment