Thursday, August 13, 2026

A Refillable Cup

 

Daily Gratitude Year 14-Day 225: Today, I am grateful for the gift of a refillable cup! 

After seeing sea turtles in the wild and too many videos of those harmed by carelessly discarded plastics in the ocean, I have made a few intentional choices. I try to reduce my personal plastic use with some intention. Glass cups are my favorite, but the metal ones are practical for travel. This makes my refillable cups priceless.

The "half full or half empty" test has been a measure of optimism in our language for as long as I can remember. 
 
"People who wonder whether the class is half empty or half full are missing the point. The glass is refillable."

I searched for the origins and found it at "Phase Finder." 

"The glass came before the optimism. The earliest known form of the idea is a piece of wordplay rather than a comment on character. In December 1908 a Minnesota newspaper printed a paradox credited to David Dodge of The New York World, in which a fictional Professor Nix observes: “You see this glass of mine is half full; yours is half empty, but both contain the same amount of water.” No optimists or pessimists in sight; just the observation that the two descriptions are interchangeable." -Phrase Finder

The same amount, but one person is more content, looking at the glass with optimism. I have honestly never thought about the big picture point... the glass is refillable! We talk about self-care and recharging... but "refilling the cup" is another way to look at the same scenario. 

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that by the power of the Holy Spirit you may abound in hope." -Romans 15:13

We have a God who longs to fill our cups and bring us peace, hope, and joy. We all have a cup. What we fill and refill it with matters. 

Today, I am grateful for the gift of a refillable cup! 

No comments:

Post a Comment