Thursday, February 7, 2019

Miracles in the Mess

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 38: Today, I am grateful for the miracles in the mess. 

"If I get focused on the mess, I'll miss the miracles." - Lysa Terkeurst

Life is messy, friends. People are imperfect. Personalities and passions are as colorful amongst this human race as an artist's palette. If we hang out with other people, we are going to discover that life can get messy. 

The Word tells us to run to the mess and run to the miracles. Don't know that scripture? I bet you do. I did, but I didn't. I hope you don't get tired of seeing it, but I cannot seem to let go of the goodness and wisdom in this verse:

Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. -Romans 12:15 

Jesus did led by example. He went to the wedding and the temple where there would be celebrations and special moments. He went to the sick and hurting... and the dying. When he showed up "late" - the bigger miracles occured. His timing is always perfect, but we do not understand his clock or his method at times. This we can be sure of, when we join others in their celebrations and their sorrows, we are loving our neighbors.  

We see His joy in the faces of a bride and groom on their wedding day, even when something doesn't go quite perfect on their special day. When a baby is born or a child has reaches a life marker such as kindergarten or graduation, we celebrate and weep together. We share His comfort when we attend to those who are hurt, broken, lonely and lost. There are miracles in both. 

After spending several weeks in the early chapters of Job, I am painfully reminded that it isn't what we say. (This is hard for me... I love words.) It is simply being fully present in their joys and in their sorrows. Not occupied with our phones or other devices. Fully present. 

Job's friends were a tremendous comfort for seven days and seven nights. They ripped their clothes and grieved with him silently. No one spoke a word. It was true support. Then they started talking. What they said was more hurtful than helpful. 

Job's friends wanted to tell their stories. They quoted what they knew of scripture and talked of God's future goodness. Job had buried all ten of his children and their families. When they weren't questioning Job about his sins, they attempted to explain God's ways. They failed. If we don't have the reason God is allowing a certain pain or sorrow in someone's life...  in God's handwriting... the suggestion of His purpose in their pain is not helpful.  

Jeremiah 29:11 (I know the plans I have for you...") is great, but Jeremiah 29:13 is the teeth. 

You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.-Jeremiah 29:13

There are miracles in the messiest moments of our lives. When we seek His face with our whole hearts, we allow His desires to become our desires. We don't sign up for the tough stuff, but we learn to seek his face and trust his heart when the hard times come. In his time, there is beauty from the ashes.  

Today, I am grateful for the miracles in the mess. 



No comments:

Post a Comment