Thursday, February 28, 2019

The Birdsong

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 59: Today, I am grateful for the bird's song.

Yesterday, when I let Daisy Mae out for her morning romp in the backyard, I was startled and excited by a new sound. Birds singing! Yes, this endless winter season is going to come to an end. 

The previous day, a co-worker paused to celebrate the obviously longer light in our days (thanks Daniel). The very next morning, I heard birds singing. Not just one... but a host of feathered fa-la-las. It is very cold today, but the hope in the birdsong can not be ignored. 

The older I get, the more fascinating I find our feathered friends. They don't worry. They simply do what they were born to do: fly, discover, dance, eat and sing. 

I was in high school when I first added this quote to my quote box:  

A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song. -unknown

We don't have to have all of the answers. We simply need to find our voice and sing. Perfect pitch is not require... but aim for a perfect heart. 

Sing because spring is around the corner. Sing if you have someone to love. Sing if you have someone who loves you back... including a fur-baby. Sing when the first green signs of new life push through the barren winter landscape. Sing through sadness and in joyful times. Sing scriptures and praises. Sing because you have a song. 

The flowers are springing up, the season of singing birds has come, and the cooing of turtledoves fills the air.  -Song of Songs 2:12

We may revisit this verse when the flowers arrive, but the "season of singing birds" was too perfect to resist. 

Today, I am grateful for the bird's song.


No comments:

Post a Comment