Thursday, August 15, 2019

7-Layer Salad

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 227: Today, I am grateful for 7-Layer Salad. 

I like 7-layer salad. I don't know that I "love" it... but it pleases my palate and makes me smile. 7-Layer Salad makes me think of Grandma Marge Lindgren. She served it at any family gathering. It was standard food fare for family gatherings in the 70's and 80's. 

At Grandma Marge's table, we learned about fancy place settings and polished table manners. Mama Ina Mae was serious about manners... but she was fighting an uphill battle with my Dad when it came to table manners. He wanted people to feel comfortable and welcome around the dinner table. They were welcome. Salad forks and bread plates made no sense to him. 

Grandma Marge's table was different. It was impeccable. She had the most beautiful glass serving pieces. 7-Layer Salad sweeps me back to the joy of family around the table. Aunts, Uncles and cousins made everything more fun. We always had ample food on the table. I love vegetables but many do not. This verse seemed a good fit for today's gratitude. 

A bowl of vegetables with someone you love is better than steak with someone you hate. -Proverbs 5:17  

Steak is pretty yummy, but there is wisdom in Solomon's words.  Vegetables with loved ones makes a meal more enjoyable the a filet mignon when there is discord. 

When my heart remembers my childhood, it is clear... many sweet memories were made at Grandma's table. Dad and Uncle Mel survived the fancy table settings. Mama and Aunt Mary were grateful for Grandma's attention to detail. Aunt Jan was so proud of Grandma's kitchen talents. We enjoyed all the layers of family, faith, fun, fellowship and feasting on festive foods.(Yes... that is seven words that start with "F")

What food brings back similar memories for your family?  

Today, I am grateful for 7-Layer Salad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment