Monday, August 12, 2019

First Born

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 224: Today, I am grateful for my first born.

Twenty eight years ago today, I became a mother. Crazy! How did time fly so quickly? How did he grow up so fast? It wasn't until I held him in my arms that I understood what it meant to be fierce. I would have died for him, even before I held him. 

I still marvel that God entrusts something as precious as new, human, soul bearing life to some of the most inexperienced people on the planet. I had helped with younger siblings and had done my fair share of babysitting and nannying... but this child was our responsibility. All ours. I am grateful God designed him to be forgiving and patient. 

We will always treasure the memories of a little boy who loved dinosaurs... who explored physics by lining up cars and moving one of them by a fraction of an inch... who looked at the night sky and saw the greatness of our God and who was always gentle with animals and all living things. I think the man has all of these same qualities only with the maturity that comes with years. 

He is a thoughtful husband, a diligent employee and a loving son and brother. Yes... I am still in awe that he survived our inexperienced parenting. 

"So give your father and mother joy! May she who gave you birth be happy." -Proverbs 23:25 

I love this picture because of the dinosaur shirt (thanks Robin), Emma(now his wife) in a ponytail and Walker enjoying their attention. It was taken at a VBS we held at Kennel Lake. It make me smile because it reminds me of the simple joys of childhood, the promise of the future and a God who plans better things than we could ever imagine. 

Today, I am grateful for my first born.


No comments:

Post a Comment