Monday, August 5, 2019

The Light

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 217: Today, I am grateful for the light. 

I need light. I need it for my soul. The days are getting shorter. I wish we could have the long days of light all winter long. It would make winter easier to bear, but I suppose the earth needs the shorter days to force nature to rest. 

Another old idiom apparently has its roots in scripture: "She has seen the light!" We know that means understanding has dawned. Now, look at this scripture:

"The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple."  -Psalm 119:130

I think there is a definite connection. Light is such a simple thing...but it changes everything! It has specific properties and ways it will behave. It is predictable, but still magical. God's word "unfolding" gives light... it is enlightening and even the simple of mind can understand. 

In the New Testament, Jesus stated that He was the light of the world and in Him there is no darkness. 

"When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” -John 8:12

Again... simple but complex. He spoke confidently... and in truth. He was the way, the truth, the light and the life. People could chose Him or ignore him. His light dispersed the darkness. It was not dependant on human response. It still isn't. 

We can celebrate the light that unfolds around us every day. His light gives us hope. 

Today, I am grateful for the light. 

No comments:

Post a Comment