Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Window Defrosters

Daily Gratitude Year 8- Day 36: Today, I am grateful for window defrosters.

German engineer, Heinz Kunert, studied philosophy, physics and psychology at University of Bonn. Kunert invented the first electric defogger/defroster for automobiles in the 1960's. Imagine our cars without them? We could not see clearly without them on many days. 

When we start our cars and brush off the snow, by the time we are ready to drive away, the defrosters take care of much of the ice and snow. It is a simple thing we take for granted. Seeing clearly makes driving safer for everyone. 

I imagine there was a time that window defrosters in cars seemed more miraculous. Now, they are standard equipment in most vehicles. We don't think about it much, until it isn't working. 

I thought of Jesus healing the blind man in Mark 8:

Jesus took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the village. Then, spitting on the man’s eyes, he laid his hands on him and asked, “Can you see anything now?” The man looked around. “Yes,” he said, “I see people, but I can’t see them very clearly. They look like trees walking around.”  Then Jesus placed his hands on the man’s eyes again, and his eyes were opened. His sight was completely restored, and he could see everything clearly. -Mark 8:23-25

Jesus did not fully heal him in an instant. He started by healing him half way. Why? We know His power was not limited. Many Biblical scholars have contemplated the answer. We may not know this side of heaven, but I think it made more of an impact on the man because he went from full darkness to being able to make out shapes... and then he had perfect vision. I suspect the man never forgot the minutes of limited, unclear vision. It made him more grateful for the full healing. 

I've never been blind, but I have had my car windows defog and defrost slowly. Seeing a little is nice, but clear vision is a blessing. 

Today, I am grateful for window defrosters.

No comments:

Post a Comment