Saturday, October 24, 2020

Hallmark Christmas Movies

 

Year 8-Day 298: Today, I am grateful for Hallmark Christmas movies.

Guilty pleasures at their best. I love a Hallmark Christmas movie with a guaranteed happy ending. Real life is hard enough. I enjoy the escape of the predictable and the gorgeous cinematography.

The new movies are beginning for the Christmas season. They even sing carols and go to church in many of the movies. Neighbors share meals. Families gather, they hug and they celebrate traditions old and new. I don't think there has been a year in my lifetime we have needed Christmas movies more. 

The truth is, I will need to re-watch tonight's premier. I feel asleep not long after I sat down to watch it. Randy will tease me about the happy ending. Hallmark movies are like the "balm in Gilead". What's that? Let's look at the Old Testament. 

"Is there no balm in Gilead? Is there no physician there? Why then has the health of the daughter of my people not been restored?" -Jeremiah 8:22

Gilead was know for a balm (Genesis 37:25). The Ishmaelites who purchased Joseph from his brothers carried the balm, gum and myrrh on their caravan. The hearts of the brothers were full of jealousy and ill will toward their brother Joseph. The "balm in Gilead" would come to become a metaphor for Jesus and how He soothes our  souls. 

Hallmark Christmas movies remind me to be grateful for life's little moments that are tender and sweet. Giving thanks and sharing with loved ones is what we love about the season ahead. Family, food, faith and fellowship are at the heart of the season.

"addressing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody to the Lord with your heart, giving thanks always and for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ," -Ephesians 5:19-20

Most of the movies are a constant reminder that love covers a multitude of sins. None of us is perfect. Love always wins. 

Today, I am grateful for Hallmark Christmas movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment