Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Warm Beds

 

Year 8-Day 301: Today, I am grateful for a warm bed.

As the temperatures drop here in Illinois and the first snow has sputtered, I am forever grateful for a warm bed. That same toasty bed makes it harder to get up in the morning, but the daily struggle is worth it, for the luxury of a soft, warm bed. 

My mind goes to the homeless this season. Those who spend their nights outside most of the summer will seek the shelters. I've heard from multiple sources that the thing most requested in homeless shelters are socks. I imagine socks can double as mittens and they can be doubled on the feet for added protection and warmth. 

I am reminded there are many who have no bed and others who lay down in filth, because they have no way to wash the bedding they possess. I am grateful my bed is clean, too.  The smell and feel of fresh sheets is on my list of favorite things. Simple joys. Inexpensive, too. Clean, soft and cozy... it is heavenly bedding.

Someone to snuggle is a blessing, too. Now... some of us like to snuggle and some of us like a little space to ourselves, but there is comfort in the nearness of another soul. Add some fur babies and the bed gets even cozier. We have a 70lb foot warmer who insists on sleeping under the covers at the foot of the bed. 

A safe, toasty place to sleep is a blessing, not to be taken for granted.

The scripture for today was easy:

Again, if two lie together, they keep warm, but how can one keep warm alone?-Ecclesiastes 4:11

Today, I am grateful for a warm bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment