Saturday, October 10, 2020

Rocks

 Year 8-Day 284: Today, I am grateful for rocks.

What kid doesn't love rocks? I had a little rock collection when I was a child that I thought was pretty special. The quartz was beautiful. The fools gold (iron pyrite) seemed almost magical. 

I had my favorites. Even as a child, I was struck by the differences in rock compositions. Each rock has a story to tell. The sedimentary rocks are some of the best story tellers with layer after layer of history... one chapter on top of the other. 

Coal was in my collection and I was intrigued that under pressure it formed diamonds. Diamonds have always been my favorite rocks. The clear ones are go with everything, making them perfect for jewelry. 

A child can play with rocks for endless hours without boredom. They throw them, stack them, move them in toy trucks and bulldozes them. Boys, especially, love rocks. 

One of my favorite children's stories is "Stone Soup". The book illustrates the power of a community coming together to make something special. A kettle of boiling rocks becomes a delicious soup for sharing with the whole village. The book has some excellent lessons. 

Jesus is called, "The Rock" of our salvation. We can always go to "The Rock". He does not stumble or fail. 

"Come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation."- Psalm 95:1

Today, I am grateful for rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment