Monday, June 21, 2021

Good Fathers

Daily Gratitude Year 9-Day 171: Today, I am grateful for good Fathers. 

Earworm is singing Chris Tomlin's Good Good Father. 

"Oh, I've heard a thousand stories, of what they think you're like But I've heard the tender whisper of love in the dead of night. And You tell me that you're pleased and that I'm never alone. You're a good, good Father. That's who you are... and I'm loved by you." 

It is a song that makes us smile. Randy always told Walker they could use it for the Father-Son dance when he got married. Walker might be slightly relieved that a "Covid Wedding" changed dancing plans.  Whenever we hear the song, we can't help but smile. 

The Love-of-my-Life is the best of Fathers. Chase and Walker have always known their Dad would show up in good times and in the hard ones, too. He doesn't like to be the center of attention, but every once in a while, I have to sing his praises, because he is a blessing every day. He has taught them so much about being good men. He showed them Christian values by example... caught more than taught. His patience in teaching new skills always makes me smile. 

Today, my heart hurts for those who have not known a father for one reason or another. I know some good and Godly men have stepped into the gap. 

"Father to the fatherless, defender of widows— this is God, whose dwelling is holy. God places the lonely in families; he sets the prisoners free and gives them joy."-Psalm 68:5-6

When our Fathers are no longer with us, we feel the emptiness of that loss on this day. Still, for those who have been loved, sheltered and protected... the memories live on in our hearts. Someday, we will sit together in the sweetest reunions. 

The Bible gives clear instructions about being Fathers to the Fatherless, so don't forget the widows and orphans on this day. I have several close to us feeling that loss today for the first time.  

"Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you."  -James 1:27

Today, I am grateful for good Fathers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment