Saturday, June 26, 2021

Ice Cubes


Daily Gratitude Year 9-Day 177: Today, I am grateful for ice cubes.

I'm not European. I love my beverages cold. Preferably, ice cold. Especially water. Things taste better to me when they are really cold.  

I remember when Chase was little, we were at Uncle Matt and Aunt Jennifer's house. They did not have an ice maker at the time. The old fashioned ice cube trays from grandpa's house were still functional and we used them. Chase, who has always had an engineer's mind, was fascinated by them. The twisty plastic ones were fascinating, too. Both made ice successfully.

Ice is kind of magical. It keeps our beverages cold and lunch meat cold in coolers. When it melts, it is ordinary water. You can freeze fruit and herbs into ice cubes for fresh summer drinks. 

I've looked at Job with new eyes after doing a Bible Study with some online friends. Job is so much more than a book of sadness an tragedy. Yes, there are giant struggles for Job. Yes, he faced trials that are hard to imagine until you are walking a difficult path. He needed comfort and support from his friends. Sometimes, they were helpful. Sometimes his friends said some awful things without really knowing the heart of God. Can we know the heart of God?

He instructs us to know His word. And Jesus said, "If you know me, you know The Father." (John 8:19) Job once prayed for "an advocate to defend him before the Father. Jesus answered that prayer and we all have the advantage of intercession before Him. 

When Job could not fathom the things God allowed, he held on to his faith. Faith doesn't melt away when things warm up. Faith may look a little different as we have to readjust our vision in times of brokenness or trials. God doesn't change. We, on the other hand, need his refuge, encouragement and shelter in the storms of life. He is enough and so much more.

"Who is the mother of the ice? Who gives birth to the frost from the heavens? For the water turns to ice as hard as rock, and the surface of the water freezes. Can you direct the movement of the stars— binding the cluster of the Pleiades or loosening the cords of Orion?" -Job 38:29-31

I can't direct the stars, but I know the one who can. I can't create ice at the brush of my hand or with an exhaled breath. I know The One who can. 

I am grateful for the many ways to make ice cubes. 

Today, I am grateful for ice cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment