Friday, June 25, 2021

Sump Pumps

Daily Gratitude Year 9-Day 176: Today, I am grateful for sump pumps.

It's raining again. We've had a wet week and the rain continues to fall. The waters keep coming. Our sump pump is working hard. It isn't a beautiful tool, but I am grateful for our sump pump every time it rains. 

The sump pump always brings back memories of our grumpy old dog, Sandy. Sandy wasn't particularly affectionate with anyone except me... and maybe Chase. She didn't like feet. She didn't like much... but she loved the sump pump. 

Sandy was part of the family. We loved her, even with all of her idiosyncrasies. Her weirdest quirk was, indeed, her infatuation with the sump pump. If it was running, we would find her laying beside it. It was the oddest of romances. One-sided, but in Sandy's little doggie brain... it was sincere and real. She is the only dog I've ever known to show such devotion to a household tool. Odd... but that was our Sandy.

I must admit, there are times I go to the basement just to be sure it is working and running. I thank God for it, often. It is a humble tool, but it makes such a difference when the rains come fast and hard. I am grateful our home has a firm foundation. I am reminded that foundations matter and planning for the rainy season happens when the sun is shining. 

"It is like a person building a house who digs deep and lays the foundation on solid rock. When the floodwaters rise and break against that house, it stands firm because it is well built. But anyone who hears and doesn’t obey is like a person who builds a house right on the ground, without a foundation. When the floods sweep down against that house, it will collapse into a heap of ruins.” -Luke 6:48-49

The humble little sump pump (and the Ace in the Hole back up pump) helps us keep our basement dry. Although I am not as devoted to it as Sandy was, I do not take it for granted. A working sump pump should never be overlooked when counting your blessings.

Today, I am grateful for sump pumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment