Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Letters

 

Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 208: Today, I am grateful for letters

The words of the letters to the early churches really grab my heart. Some are encouraging. Some speak of sorrows and struggles. Some speak of loneliness. Many offer words of hope and encouragement. I love "the letters". The reality is, when we read the letters to the early church, we are reading someone else's mail. 

Now, Mama Ina Mae taught us about privacy and other people's mail. If they offer you a letter to read, that is one thing. But, it is a liberty that should not be taken... only offered. The early Christians were generous in sharing their mail. Letters were treasured.  

In light of that truth, it is a blessing the letters to the early churches were kept, copied, shared again and again. Some of the early disciples were busy with correspondence, even when jailed for the gospel. Out of their imprisonment came some of the most encouraging letters. Rough times made them cling to the gospel and be courageous in their sharing. 

"And when this letter has been read among you, have it also read in the church of the Laodiceans; and see that you also read the letter from Laodicea." -Colossians 4:16

As a teen, I loved writing letters. Imagine that? I would keep in touch with some of my church camp friends through the school year until summer returned. Finding a note from any of my friends in the mailbox was something to savor. Taking the time to write a letter to someone genuinely gives the message, "You are worth my time." A letter is a way for hearts to connect, even when there is physical distance separating us. 

The art of correspondence was practiced in days gone by. Today, we text or email. 

Scriptures like this one are a lovely way to close a letter:

"I thank God whom I serve... as I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day." -2 Timothy 1:3

Today, I am grateful for letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment