Saturday, January 15, 2022

Freedom in Simple Truths

Daily Gratitude Year 10 - Day 15: Today, I am grateful for simple truths that keep us free.

"Telling the truth is easier than keeping track of a lie." I remember someone saying this when I was a child and it stuck. I can't remember where I parked my car at Kroger most days, so there is no way I could keep track of a pack of lies. Not to mention, "Not bearing a false witness" made God's "Big Ten" list of things that displease him. They were not called suggestions, but commandments. 

There are some who lie with a convincing tongue and flashy smiles. Some lie more subtly and secretly. A lie creates a cloud of shame that becomes a burden too heavy to bear. Setting the record state is freeing. 

When Jesus walked with us, in human skin, the world was full of those who lied and those who told the truth. Some things change, but others remain the same. 

"Jesus said to the people who believed in him, “You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” -John 8:31-32 

In this world today, lies abound. The truth is often resisted if it is uncomfortable. Most humans don't like being uncomfortable... me included. Still, it is by stepping outside of our comfort zone that we can find new freedom and joy. 

I remember when The Love of My Life wanted to try ziplining. I was 100% sure it was out of my comfort zone, but I was 110% sure it would be an unforgettable adventure with my guy. It was, indeed. And... God blessed us with a group where I believe we might have been the youngest members outside of the guides. They inspired me that we are never too old to cut loose of some of our fears and step out in new freedom. The outcome was all smiles and thrills (and maybe shouting Philippians 4:13 on the first zip). 

There is freedom in keeping with the truth. It simplifies our days.

Today, I am grateful for simple truths that keep us free.

No comments:

Post a Comment