Monday, January 31, 2022

No Wind

 

Gratitude Year 10 - Day 31: Today, I am grateful for no wind.

Growing  up less than an hour south of downtown Chicago, on the Midwest plain, I know a little about wind. I forget how windy it is back home, until I visit. Summer, fall, winter and spring... the calm days are fewer than the windy ones. The wind can be exhausting. Hold on to your skirts and hats, the gusts can be frequent and unexpected. 

We have experienced some bitter cold recently. Today was a little warmer. The deep chill will return soon, so I walked intentionally leisurely today. There was no wind. It was so refreshing to take in a deep breath of winter without flinching at the wind.

No wind makes the winter so much easier to tolerate.  I don't fear the wind, but it is painful sometimes. It tests our resilience. 

We'll take the beautiful winter days. They say a storm is on the way. We shall see. After all these years, radar still seems to be hit and miss in weather predictions. 

I laughed when a friend posted the possibility of snow being between 2 and 28 inches. That is a 26 inch variable. The fact of the matter is that it isn't about how much snow we get. It is about how much wind comes with it. Snow, on its own, can be managed. It is snow mixed with high winds that has the ability to bring life to a halt. 

"Then he asked them, “Where is your faith?” The disciples were terrified and amazed. “Who is this man?” they asked each other. “When he gives a command, even the wind and waves obey him!' -Luke 8:25

What a fabulous scripture passage! When the storms begin to blow, this verse always brings me comfort. 

Today, I am grateful for no wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment