Wednesday, January 12, 2022

New Clothes

Daily Gratitude Year 10 - Day 12: Today, I am grateful for new clothes. 

I don't buy new clothes very often. When I do find something I love, I might buy multiple colors. Mama Ina Mae taught me about classic clothes. My love of accessories helps me make something new out of classic pieces. 

I've not been brave enough to try the "capsule" closet that limits your wardrobe but the idea fascinates me. The Love of My Life would be thrilled if I had less in the closet. 

This was my scripture of the day:

"For you are all children of God through faith in Christ Jesus. And all who have been united with Christ in baptism have put on Christ, like putting on new clothes. There is no longer Jew or Gentile, slave or free, male and female. For you are all one in Christ Jesus." -Galatians 3:26-28  

New life in Christ is meant to feel like putting on new clothes. Such wonderful imagery, right? Imagine how that sounded 2000 years ago. New clothes were even more special back then. There was not much abundance and waste in their daily lives. Most of their days were spent attending to their basic needs. Fabrics were hand woven and hand stitched. Can you even imagine? Crazy.

We are often identified by our clothes. UPS drivers are known for their brown uniforms. Cubs fans are recognized in their Cubs blue and red shirts and jerseys. When we do our annual  Help-A-Thon, our students wear matching T-shirts. They helps us identify them when we are gathering them at service project sites. Our marching band wears matching uniforms. Medical professionals wear scrubs. Our clothes say something about us. 

"United with Christ in baptism and putting on Christ is like putting on new clothes." Can we be identified by the way we wear our Jesus? Do we wear His forgiveness? Do we put on His love, mercy and grace? A challenge for sure. 

We are works in progress. 

Today, I am grateful for new clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment