Sunday, February 27, 2022

Do Be Do Be Do!

 

Gratitude Year 10 - Day 59: Today, I am grateful for the do-be-do-be-do! 

I am a weirdo. I love grammar. I am not a master at it, but I try to get it right. One of the things I have found to be so amazing about the Holy Bible is the value in looking at the Hebrew/Greek grammar when a verse is confusing and needs to be explored a little deeper. Grammar can be key in understanding. 

Remember the tenses? The past, present and future tenses were a part of your English Grammar education. Some may have done their best to forget those most "boring" of days in Language Arts. I think they invented diagramming sentences to make it more of a game. I still love diagraming sentences. (Refer to the "I am a weirdo" statement.)

Remember the "Rat Pack"? Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis, Jr., Humphrey Bogart and Dean Martin are some of the most memorable members. They often hung out at Bogie and Bacall's home.  Some say Lauren Bacall coined the phrase "rat pack" after her husband, Humphrey Bogart returned from a weekend in Las Vegas with his pals in tow. The musicians of the group were known for their "do-be-do-be-dos".

I've never thought about it before but "do verbs" and "be verbs" are two of the most important in our language. When we learn a new language, we learn the "do" and the "be" verb equivalents quickly. They help create the foundation of our language. How many sentences a day involve these words in all tenses? Countless. What we do and who we are matters. 

What we choose to do tells the world who we are. 

"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." -Romans 12:12

Choose to rejoice. When you see hope, celebrate it. Be patient... especially in trials. Pray constantly. It is one of the most effective ways of controlling the tongue. Know who you are...  in Him. Be all you can be... in Him. Do what you can do to be salt and light. 

Today, I am grateful for the do-be-do-be-do! 


No comments:

Post a Comment