Thursday, February 17, 2022

Old Things

Gratitude Year 10 - Day 48: Today, I am grateful for old things.

I have always loved old things. Old music, old letters, historic photos, old books, vintage jewelry and clothing and antique furniture have never been worthless in my eyes. Perhaps it is because my soul loves a good story and old things have stories... even if the stories remain secret and never told. 

When you think about it, the things most people would grab from a burning house are quite often things of little material value. They grab the things that connect them to their past. These are the items that remind them of what matters in this life. Connections. People. Faith. Hope. And, love. 

Old things and older people remind us to slow down. We hurry too much. Sit back and watch the grandparent wait on the toddler who is figuring things out. They enjoy watching the learning process as much as they savor the victory of a new accomplishment. 

Shel Silverstein wrote a poem that struck a chord with me the first time I read it. 

The Little Boy and the Old Man
Said the little boy, "Sometimes I drop my spoon."
Said the old man, "I do that too."
The little boy whispered, "I wet my pants."
"I do that too," laughed the little old man.
Said the little boy, "I often cry."
The old man nodded, "So do I."
"But worst of all," said the boy, "it seems
Grown-ups don't pay attention to me."
And he felt the warmth of a wrinkled old hand.
"I know what you mean," said the little old man. 

Our culture no longer respects the aged or the innocent ones. I imagine it breaks the Father's heart. I know it ignores His instructions. I know there are times I am less patient than I should be. I spend too much time in a hurry and chasing worry, and not enough time pausing to watch, listen and learn.

The scriptures mention aging often. 

"Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations; ask your father, and he will show you, your elders, and they will tell you." -Deuteronomy 32:7

"Wisdom is with the aged, and understanding in length of days." Job 12:12

Today, I am grateful for old things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment