Monday, February 21, 2022

Laundry Put Away

 

Gratitude Year 10 - Day 52: Today, I am grateful the laundry is put away! 

"First world problems" include stuffed drawers and closets. It really is good to purge on occasion, but I have trouble throwing out my old favorites. I have socks I only really wear seasonally. I have PJ's that have seen better days. 

The fact I have all four seasons of clothing in my closet is a result of living in the Midwest. 17 degrees - 70 degrees can happen over the course of a few days. We are known to experience extreme weather changes in short periods of time. I like to be prepared for anything. 

The laundry room is ample in size, which is a blessing. I hang most things to dry. Of course, if I dried more in the dryer, I'd have to replace items more frequently... and, as previously stated... I have my favorites. 

We have a night time game we play. (Keep it clean... we are talking about clean laundry.) I stack clean clothes on the bed throughout the day with the intention of taking care of them. Then, I get distracted or I "see something shiny" as the Love of my Life would say. When he gets up to go to bed, I either race to complete my task or the folded clothes goes neatly back into the laundry basket to be put away another day. Home many times can the on the bed and back to the basket cycle be repeated? I'd rather not say. 

The truth is, I should do it immediately and not wait for all the socks or all the t-shirts. Nike says, "Just do it." I don't. The Love of my Life calls out, "Valerie Christine!" Game on! 

There is a simple joy in completing the task. My menial household chore is nothing compared to the joy and accomplishment heaven must have felt when Jesus's suffering was over. The human part of Jesus endured the beatings, the nails, the thirst, the cross and perhaps the worst part... the heart piercing abandonment by His friends. 

When he exhaled for the last time, the earthly suffering was finished! 

" When Jesus had received the sour wine, he said, “It is finished,” and he bowed his head and gave up his spirit." -John 19:30

The grave could not and would not hold Him. It was finished!  He willingly gave up his life to be our sacrifice and atonement. He finished the job in the most amazing way. Victory over death. 

That is way bigger than my little laundry victories! Yet, there is a sweet victory in having all the laundry put away. 

Today, I am grateful the laundry is put away! 

No comments:

Post a Comment