Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Don't Look Back

 

Gratitude Year 10 - Day 38: Today, I am grateful for reminders to not look back. 

This is one of my all-time, forever favorite prints from the magnificent Mary Engelbreit. This is the print that made me a fan. She draws so many little details into her drawings and usually has a quote in the design. Collecting quotes and mixing them with art delights my soul. 

We all make decisions every day. Good and bad. What we eat, what we wear, where we go and how we spend our daily gift of 24 hours. How we spend our days reflects our priorities and values. 

One of the ways we waste precious minutes is time spent beating ourselves up over things in the past we cannot change. "Don't look back." is a reminder to own our decisions. Even the bad ones. We learn from them and move on.  Life doesn't have an undo button. 

Recently, I was looking at Genesis 19 and "Lot's wife":

 "But Lot’s wife looked back as she was following behind him, and she turned into a pillar of salt." -Genesis 19:26

God had spared them the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah, but Lot's wife looked back. Angels literally ripped Lot and his family from death's door, but a part of Lot's wife was struggling to leave the place they had called home. Behind her was a place so sinful God reigned down His justice without flinching, but she could not leave without looking back. 

God knew Lot's wife's heart. He knew the reasons she looked back instead of forward. We can only wonder. In her situation, would I have looked back, too? I hope not, but how many times have I lamented the things I did or did not do? 

Looking back on things that are "no longer an option" is wasted energy. 

Today, I am grateful for reminders to not look back. 


No comments:

Post a Comment