Friday, February 25, 2022

The Light That Remains

 

Gratitude Year 10 - Day 57: Today, I am grateful for the light that remains. 

"There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, their light remains." -unknown

Today, my Jill would have been 57 today. 8 years ago she celebrated what would be her last earthly birthday. We were connected nearly every day for 28 years. The time flew swiftly. From college days... to newlyweds... to half-empty nests, so many shared seasons. Each one with its joys and sorrows. Life is full of both. I could not have asked for a better partner in family fun, faith, fellowship and friendship. 

I have had the best sisters-in-love, too. When my sister, April, died at 28, I realized God had given me some beautiful sisters through the Love of My Life and through my little brother's choice in a wife. My heart never needs to be lonely, although I wish I had more time with all of them. Yes, I often long for more time to hang out with these beautiful ladies I get to call family. 

There are a few more friends who fit into the "sister slot" in my heart. They are long and special friendships through many seasons. They know who they are. I can't imagine life without them. They each bring light and laughter to the table. Even when time and space separate us, it only takes a minute to catch up. Yet, somehow, there is never enough time to share what we want to share in the spaces in between. I thank God for these sisters of the heart, too. 

This past year, with Mama Ina Mae joining Jesus in heaven, I watched the aching and the breaking of her sisters (and brothers) hearts. Mama was a rare soul. I'm not just saying that because she was mine. She had a humble spirit and a grace that illuminated her days. In grief, we are grateful for her light that remains. 

This is not meant to be a sad post, but one that causes us to pause and give thanks for the ones who have poured light into our days. Some are still here, and others continue to light our moments and our missions through their memory. 

When Jesus promised the Holy Spirit, the disciples did not understand. They did not want Jesus to leave them. They had walked with Him and talked with Him daily, in the most ordinary ways. It is what made the experience extraordinary. They could not imagine a sunrise or a sunset without Him. He made them a promise and kept it:

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you." -John 14:26

The Holy Spirit would pour light into their days. He would teach them and help them remember. He would be the reason they would "bear witness" to the Way. His light was not gone, it would light them from within... like a spiritual glow. People would know they belonged to "The Way" and they would shine for the Savior. 

Today, I am grateful for the light that remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment