Saturday, January 20, 2024

Brotherly Love

 

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 20: Today, I am grateful for brotherly love. 

My friend, Brenda, shared this picture and I told her I was going to steal it. It is perfect. And I love that sweet Jayne in the background. Doug Tucker and Kent Geiger were quite a pair! Not brothers by birth, but through life in Christ. 

In my mind, they were always a pair. Serving in children's ministries for many years, they never let pride keep them from acting totally goofy for the love of the children and their Lord. 

Doug taught Sunday School. Kent worked the PA soundboard. Both ushered. They worked Relief Sales, led VBS groups, and I will never hear the Go Fish version of "Jesus Loves Me" or "I Like Big Bibles and I Cannot Lie" without thinking of the two of them. They walked in joy.

They acted in little skits for the kids... and Jayne and Brenda would probably say they "acted up" at times... all in good fun. The silly and then suddenly serious when a conversation turned to something like concern for another who was struggling or hurting. 

From May 8, 2021 to  January 16, 2023 they were separated. Doug joined him on Tuesday. 

My heart aches for Jayne, his children (by blood and in love), grandchildren, and their families... and his sweet mother. He was the best of husbands.  Jayne was still his bride and the love of his life. His affection for her evident every time he said her name. He loved being a husband and Dad... and being a grandfather was his greatest earthly delight. 

Doug was loved and treasured by all who knew him. At work, at church, in Tremont, and wherever he made friends. He was salt and light wherever he went. I know that his testimony will continue to echo into eternity, just like Kent's. Brenda shared this scripture and it truly fits. 

"There are “friends” who destroy each other, but a real friend sticks closer than a brother." -Proverbs 18:24

The earth weeps and heaven rejoices. I am so grateful these two "brothers" lived and loved without reservation... just like Jesus.  

Today, I am grateful for brotherly love.

No comments:

Post a Comment