Sunday, January 7, 2024

Companionship

 

Daily Gratitude Year Twelve-Day 7- Today, I am grateful for companionship.

I am drawn to this image of  three geese walking together in the snow. They do not seem to be in a hurry or bothered by the humans who may be watching. They are simply taking a stroll in the snow. 

In contrast, so much of the walking  I have done in the recent past has been for exercise and with a mission. Up that heart rate! Maybe even drop some pounds. I forget about walking for the sheer pleasure of taking in nature and enjoying my companions.

This image took me back to the days of long walks down to "the bridge" to play in the creek with my siblings, cousins, and friends. It reminded me of  leisurely walks around the familiar small towns of my childhood. The days were filled with conversation and companionship. 

I like to imagine this scene from scripture: 

"Jesus and his disciples left Galilee and went up to the villages near Caesarea Philippi. As they were walking along, he asked them, “Who do people say I am?” -Mark 8:27

They were simply walking along.  It is the picture of "companionship." The conversation was natural. Then, Jesus asked some big questions. He first asked them to share what people said about him. They were eager to share what they had heard. Then he asked, "Who do you say that I am?"  

We know it was Peter who answered it correctly: "You are the Messiah." 

Peter got it right. He boldly declared it. (Peter was not subtle.)  Peter made his declaration in front of all of his friends. And then, Jesus asked them to keep it to themselves for a bit. 

Iron sharpens iron. Choose your friends wisely, and then delight in their companionship. 

Today, I am grateful for companionship.



No comments:

Post a Comment