Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Favorite Verses


Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 30: Today, I am grateful for favorite verses.

I started collecting quotes a long time ago. I have always been inspired by a well spoken word. I, especially, like the ones that match up nicely with a scripture passage. 

When I was an RA in college, the girls on my floor had varied schedules. We had the nursing students who were early risers and early to bed when clinicals required. We had those who were night owls, too. Finding a time that worked for everyone's schedule to get together for a floor devotional never seemed to work. 

Then I had an idea. I put inspirational quotes and complimentary scriptures on the back of the doors of the bathroom stalls. An unusual spot for a "devotional" moment, but they seemed to enjoy them. I remember writing them out by hand. We didn't have personal computers and I enjoyed writing them. 

One of my most treasured books was one called 1000 Beautiful Things. It was a gift from Grandma Marge and I loved it for all of the quotes, poetry, prose, and even short stories it contained. Each one was beautiful. 

I loaned the book out in college and did not get it back. The Love of my Life found it one year and ordered it for me. It has long been out of print.  It is a special book in my library because it is beautiful and it was a gift... twice. It is as wonderful as I remembered it to be. 

This scripture is one of my favorite passages. It challenges me to love bigger and better. The reminder to choose humility and gentleness is a good direction for every day. 

"Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other’s faults because of your love." -Ephesians 4:2

How do you collect your favorite quote and verses? I have them everywhere. They make me smile, they challenge me, and some touch my soul. 

Today, I am grateful for favorite verses.

No comments:

Post a Comment