Monday, January 1, 2024

Simplify

 


Daily Gratitude Year Twelve-Day 1- Today, I am grateful for reminders to simplify. 

I've been choosing a word to focus and pray for many years. This year, I am choosing "simplify." 

I am sure there are many lessons ahead. 

I know there are times I make things harder than they need to be. I need reminders to look for the heart of what is really important. Keeping something simple can add to the beauty. 

Like a "little black dress" that is classic in design, uncomplicated can be special and stunning. A simple meal can be delicious. Homemade applesauce does not have to take a backseat to apple pie... and I love pie. Simple can be perfect. Other examples are:

Traveling light. (Not easy for me.)
Breakfast for dinner.
A white flour sack towel.
Clear glass glasses.
White dishes. 
A black and white photo.
A wooden spoon.
A hug. 

These things are simple and timeless. To simplify means to leave more room for deep breaths in our days. Not easy in this very full and overstimulating world. 

When Jesus was with the Pharisees, they were constantly trying to trick him to get him in trouble. They would try to back him into theological corners and challenge him hoping he would break "the Law." They asked him what law was the most important. His response was simple, masterfully spoken, and the perfect answer. 

Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” -Matthew 22:37-40

I know it will be a year of new lessons and adventures with new "one little word." 

Today, I am grateful for reminders to simplify.

No comments:

Post a Comment