Thursday, January 25, 2024

Burning Gives Off Light

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 26: Today, I am grateful burning gives off light.

"What is to give light must endure burning." -Victor E. Frankl

It is a very powerful observation from a man who endured and survived The Holocaust. Talk about being tried and tested by fires we can only imagine... and horrors I don't really like to think about. 

Hard times can refine us. The fires of life are often humbling and exhausting. Yet, when we reflect on the season, we realize that when we let go and let Him lead, that is when we find true freedom. It is a paradox for sure. In letting go, we are finally free. 

I think I have mentioned that one of my favorite Nichole Nordeman songs is from an old album. The song is called, "Burnin." 

Here are the lyrics:  

Started rubbing sticks together
I thought a spark would take forever
I never dreamt this fire would appear 
When Moses saw the bush in flames
And heard the branches speak his name
I wonder if he felt this kind of fear

'Cause I'm burnin'
Yeah, I'm burnin'
And I know I'm gonna blister in these flames
So I'll stay here
'Till this smoke clears
And I'll find you in the ashes that remain

Used to be that I could say
My faith was one arm's length away
From any flame that ever felt too warm
Asked for matches, but I received
A gallon full of gasoline
Now my cozy campfire days are gone

'Cause I'm burnin'
Yeah I'm burnin'
And I know I'm gonna blister in these flames
So I'll stay here
'Till this smoke clears
And I'll find you in the ashes that remain

I think of Job, Joseph, Daniel, Moses, Noah, Mary, Elijah, Ruth, and so many more great examples of faith. They surrendered to the fires that shape, mold, refine, and give off light. 

Today, I am grateful burning gives off light.

No comments:

Post a Comment