Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Mermaids

Year 6 - Day 213: Today, I am grateful for mermaids!

You will have to read the Robert Fulghum story on this image to understand the rest of this gratitude post.

This is a scrapbook page I made about my niece, Kenzie. She was the youngest of the Lindgren cousins. She is full of light and life. Instead of always trying to "keep up with the big dogs", she learned the contentment of marching to the tune she heard. She would not be a "Giant, Wizard or Dwarf" when she knew in her heart she was a "Mermaid"!

The Robert Fulghum tale reflects the surprises that children always bring to any adventure or game. As adults, we are so busy teaching them how to fit in that we forget ... as Dr. Seuss says... "We were born to stand out.".

Kenzie seemed to know this, in her spirit, from birth. She was never going to choose to be the princess who needed rescuing from the tower. She would put on her "Super Kenzie" cape (a gift from her Fairy Godmother) and rescue herself!

Of course, this spirit of adventure made her a challenge to keep alive. I will never forget the time she was found standing on the dishwasher's open door (never a good idea) and helping herself to her knife of choice from the utensil basket. Jennifer caught her and the crisis was safely averted. The door was fine... she was a little thing at the time. Small but curious and mighty.

She... like a mermaid... will take in the world around her and evaluate was is safe, what is not and generally makes really good decisions. Mermaids know when to rescue and when to swim away from danger.

At 20, she doesn't wield a knife, she is a bow and arrow girl. If the crowd is headed the wrong direction, she's not afraid to go the other way... and lead the way if a new path must be forged. I am biased, but I think she is pretty special.
This scripture always makes me think of Kenzie and her sister, a they have enjoyed archery for sport.

He made my feet like the feet of a deer and set me secure on the heights.  He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.  You have given me the shield of your salvation, and your right hand supported me, and your gentleness made me great. -Psalm 18:33-35

"And your gentleness made me great...."

Most importantly, she knows who is Lord and where full life is found. I can't wait to have her at Bradley University this year. She rocked KCC.

Out Heavenly Father created us all with such unique fires that burn within our souls. The world will try to put them out. I am grateful for those who inspire us to not be afraid to declare that they are mermaids in a world of giants, dwarfs and wizards.

Today, I am grateful for mermaids!

No comments:

Post a Comment