Friday, December 28, 2018

Dresses

Daily Gratitude Year Six-Day 362:Today, I am grateful for dresses.

Even in high school, I enjoyed wearing dresses. I find them more comfortable than jeans most days. Still... on day twenty-eight of Dressember 2018... I am officially tired of dresses!

Last year, I decided that I would simply support another's campaign, but when November rolled around, my heart said do it! So... hear I am... in a dress again. Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were the toughest so far. New Year's Eve is around the corner and it is still Dressember until the clock strikes midnight. 

Why do it? Here are statics from Dressember's founder, Blythe Hill:

The facts are these: there are over 20 million people (men, women and children) in slavery around the world, and about 80% of the victims are sexually exploited. According to Equality Now, sex slavery is the fastest growing criminal enterprise in the world. It's not just an over-seas issue either. The FBI reported that, although it's impossible to put an exact number on the amount of domestic victims, it happens all over the country (likely in your city), particularly on interstate traffic. The victims are primarily at-risk women and children, sometimes as young as 8 or 9, and can do virtually nothing to escape on their own. 

Little girls (and boys) in our own communities are more at risk than we know. The Super Bowl is one of the biggest days for human trafficking in our own USA. Gambling and the sex trades go hand in hand. Girls... more children than women... will be violated again and again. They have no voice and no choice. So... Blythe Hill dreamed up Dressember. It was of a personal challenge at first, but then friends joined in. This is one time social media did a good thing. 

Thanks to my friends who have donated (named and anonymous). I set my goal low, because I want to meet the challenge and I know December is expensive. My $300 goal pays for the first steps of reaching, rescuing and restoring one human life.  

https://dressember-2018.funraise.org/fundraiser/valerie-smith

 A21 & International Justice Mission do the work. Every penny helps. They risk their lives, work with often unjust justice systems and invest in rebuilding the lives destroyed by today's slave trade. We can't undo the injustices created by of our ancestors. We can see that this generation will see sisters (and brothers in bow ties) coming together in unity to say "No" to this vile and evil reality. Souls don't survive much more than 5-6 years in the trade... and then they disappear. 

Can't they just get out? People in trafficking situations stay for reasons that are complicated. Some lack the basic necessities to physically get out - such as transportation or a safe place to live. Some are afraid for their safety. Some have been so effectively manipulated that they do not identify at that point as being under the control of another person. Some are been sold by romantic partners and family members. 

Here at home and abroad... the power of a dress is changing lives. It is the least I can do for "the least of these." 

Today, I am grateful for dresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment