Friday, March 8, 2019

International Women's Day

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 67: Today, I am grateful for International Women's Day

"This is the season she will fearlessly pursue the Light woven things she was called to do." -Morgan Harper Nichols. 

Now, this quote could easily switch out a "he" for the "she", but today is a day for celebrating the female of the human race. 

"Light woven" callings... that is a beautiful thought! I love the reminder that we we born for a purpose. "I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord" (Jeremiah 29:11), but fear, fatigue and flying fast through our days means we might miss those special pursuits that were written into our DNA just waiting to express themselves. 

How do we know when something is "Light woven"? 

"You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart."  -Jeremiah 29:13

Verses 11 and 13 are connected by verse 12:
 "Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. " -Jeremiah 29:12

We can't pick and chose. The promise comes with directions. Let's put it all together:

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

Women have faced discrimination and being 2nd class citizens in most cultures. Equal pay for equal work does not always apply to women. Not to mention, many women have two full time jobs... one in the community and the one at home. Many women are too exhausted to pursue the "Light woven things" we were called to do. Celebrate the Light today. What soul deep desire is secretly burning and waiting?

In the eyes of God, males and females were created meticulously and lovingly in His image. We were created different but equal. Men and women...each with strengths and weakness... that lead us to recognize that we are better together. 

Jesus was always tender with women and children... especially widows and orphans. Jesus spoke to them not at them. From the Samaritan woman and the bleeding woman... to his close, personal friendship with Mary and Martha... Jesus respected, valued and loved the women in his world. He protected them as he did the woman caught in adultery. He healed them. He valued being with them, even allowing a woman to sit at his feet and learn with the men as he did with Mary(Thank you, Theresa Ulmet Garner for your teaching on Mary).

What if we all fearlessly pursued the light woven callings? What a day that would be! 

Today, I am grateful for International Women's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment