Sunday, March 31, 2019

A New Lens

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 90: Today, I am grateful for a new lens.

For those who know me best... no... it is not for my camera. I have made a conscious decision... starting today... to reframe this eternal winter (okay, it has only been 6 months) in a new light. Instead of lamenting the spring that doesn't seem to get sprung... I will choose to celebrate every day that is sunny! 

Today is a beautiful winter day! The sun is shining. It is not snowing (although I saw flurries  this weekend). The sub zero days are behind us. This winter day is quite perfect (even if it is technically spring).

The power of a lens changes everything. 

Paul, I believe, made use of reframing to help him endure trials and hardships. He had an amazing way of turning things around in his head and joy would burst out of his mouth. It is why Paul and Silas could sing songs of praise in jail after they received a flogging. Instead of lamenting their troubles and pain, they sang joyfully. 

Around midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening. Suddenly, there was a massive earthquake, and the prison was shaken to its foundations. All the doors immediately flew open, and the chains of every prisoner fell off!  The jailer woke up to see the prison doors wide open. He assumed the prisoners had escaped, so he drew his sword to kill himself. But Paul shouted to him, “Stop! Don’t kill yourself! We are all here!” -Acts 16:25-28

Their situation was so much bigger than my annoyance with our long winter. Still, they praised God in the middle of their woes. I am humbled by their attitudes and their response to suffering. They inspire me to try harder and do better.

What can you look at with a new lens today? Most of us have something that could stand a re-framing and an attitude adjustment. 

Today, I am grateful for a new lens


No comments:

Post a Comment