Friday, March 22, 2019

Live in the Light

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 81: Today, I am grateful we can live in the light.

I hesitated to use this passage as it is the words of Elihu from Job. Job's friends were a comfort to Job in his pain, loss and misery when they sat with him in silence. Then, they started talking. Many of their words were condemning, hurtful, inaccurate and far from supportive... but in the middle of their rants they had some good thoughts. This is one of them:

"God has delivered me from going down to the pit, and I shall live to enjoy the light of life." -Job 33:28

Elihu was the young man in the group of friends who came to "support" Job. He waited to speak until the others had taken repeated turns out of respect for their age. 

When Elihu finally takes the floor he rambles on... and on... and on. Some of what Elihu says is true, but in some remarks he misses the mark completely. Elihu knew a great deal about God... and felt he knew Job. He is bold in speech but lacks understanding of God's relationship with Job. I was exhausted by the time he was finished rambling. I can't imagine how it felt to Job in his suffering. He had the confidence of youth, but limited understanding. 

Still, this passage is articulate and captures the hope we feel when our trust is in the Lord. In our lowest lows... we can still live in the light. That is a significant part of the nature of God. He always lives in the light. He is light. The flame of one tiny match has the power to cast out the dark. I find that amazing and humbling at the same time. 

Elihu was wise in his own eyes. He got some things right... but he missed the mark. Job didn't need Elihu's wisdom. He needed his support and comfort. God sheds his light into Job's darkness with a restoration beyond imagination. 

"He redeemed my soul from the pit... I live to enjoy the light." 

Today, I am grateful we can live in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment