Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Jehovah Jireh

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 86: Today, I am grateful for Jehovah Jireh.

Yesterday, we came home to a freezer that was thawed and a fridge growing warmer. The refrigerator was dying a not so slow death. It was almost twenty years old, so it has served us well. Still, it is not what we had planned to do with the evening. 

The mess was irritating and the waste made me feel almost ill, but in the light of a new day... there are blessings. 

*Lowe's was having an appliance sale.
*Garbage goes on Wednesday so we can get rid of the spoiled food. 
*The Love-of-my-Life & I worked on the mess as a team.
*Responsible money management meant we could purchase what we needed.
*The refrigerator we selected had the biggest mark down (and it was my favorite).
*The sign said "7-13 days for delivery"; one "just happened" to be stock surprising the salesperson with the instant availability. 
*A truck was already coming to our town today, so they loaded it up. 
*Tonight, we will have a clean refrigerator that works!

I am reminded of "Jehovah Jireh" which means "The Lord will provide". 

This week, my Bible study group is in Genesis 22. It is one of those challenging passages in Genesis. Abraham leads Isaac up Mount Moriah to be sacrificed. How horrible! Despite what seemed clear instructions from God, Abraham is obedient. Isaac was promised to seed of a great nation. He was their miracle baby in old age. How could a loving God ask such a thing of him? Here is a scripture snippet:

Abraham took the wood for the burnt offering and placed it on his son Isaac, and he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them went on together,  Isaac spoke up and said to his father Abraham, “Father?”

“Yes, my son?” Abraham replied. “The fire and wood are here,” Isaac said, “but where is the lamb for the burnt offering?”


Abraham answered, “God himself will provide the lamb for the burnt offering, my son.” -Genesis 22:6-8

Abraham carried the fire (I am burning to know how he did that?). He, also, carried the knife. Imagine the weight of his heart. 

Isaac helped carry the wood that would be used for the sacrifice (kind of like Jesus carrying the wooden cross of his sacrifice). Isaac would occasionally say, "Dad, we forgot the lamb." 

You know how kids repeat themselves when they think we missed their point. Abraham said these words that rock me to the core of my soul when faced with overwhelming circumstances. "God himself will provide the lamb..." God did provide the lamb! 

The rest of the story: 

Then he reached out his hand and took the knife to slay his son. But the angel of the Lord called out to him from heaven, “Abraham! Abraham!”

“Here I am,” he replied. “Do not lay a hand on the boy,” he said. “Do not do anything to him. Now I know that you fear God, because you have not withheld from me your son, your only son.”-Genesis 22:10-13 

He is Jehovah Jireh... the God who provides. He blesses obedience. He provides and keeps his promises. 

A refrigerator is truly insignificant in light of what Abraham faced at Mt. Moriah. Still, I think it is good to pause and give thanks. His provision is real. His timing is perfect. 

 Today, I am grateful for Jehovah Jireh.



No comments:

Post a Comment