Tuesday, May 11, 2021

The Lilies

 

Year 9- Day 130: Today, I am grateful for the lilies

This scripture keeps popping up in  different places. It is one I memorized as a child. It was my anti-anxiety remedy. It has always been a calming passage:

"And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. "Matthew 6:27-29

Isn't it good to know that we are more precious to the Father than the birds of the air and the flowers of the fields? When we trust in Him, our hearts can ache and be at peace at the same time. We are not always spared the hard stuff, but we will not be overwhelmed or destroyed. Why? Because, for the believer, we know a little secret the world cannot understand. 

"For this perishable body must put on the imperishable, and this mortal body must put on immortality. When the perishable puts on the imperishable, and the mortal puts on immortality, then shall come to pass the saying that is written: “Death is swallowed up in victory.” “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?” 1 Corinthians 15:53-35

As a teen in the 80's, listened to Petra. They are a hard rock band that was a little harder than my taste, but I could not resist a trip to the Civic Center in Peoria to watch them perform. I had no idea I was taking my first trip to the area that would become our home. My favorite song of the night was "Graverobber". It still is one that resonates deeply with my soul. There is nothing like a hard rock band singing a good ballad. If you don't know "Graverobber", it is worth a listen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKyhGyTW_TM

The lilies are beautiful, but the wind can sweep them away. The birds are resilient, but nature takes some quick hard swipes at them as well. Still, they do not disappear from the landscape. The lilies come back to bloom again, too. They break through the barren ground to bud and bloom again,  declaring sweet victory over the winter and the winds. 

We, too, can have victory. Like the birds and the lilies. 

 Today, I am grateful for the lilies

No comments:

Post a Comment