Saturday, May 1, 2021

The Seed

Year 9- Day 121: Today, I am grateful for the seed.

I am in spring mode. I am not alone. I've been to two garden centers this weekend. Both are right in town, so I've only spent about an hour's time. My soul is light within. The reminder of the joy in flowers and food gardens keeps me still smiling.

There is something amazing about a seed. How can something so hard and dead bring new life. The wonder of it all is not lost on me. I have spent my life watching 50 pound seed bags being dumped into planters. Corn and bean seeds are small, hard and tiny. Still, when dropped into rows, watered and warmed by the sun, they sprout new life.

Ann Voskamp penned these words:

"For a seed to come into its own, it must be fully undone. The shell must break open, its insides must come out, and everything must change. If you didn't understand what life looks like, you might mistake it for complete destruction."

Those are powerful words.

Remember the mustard seed?

“You don’t have enough faith,” Jesus told them. “I tell you the truth, if you had faith even as small as a mustard seed, you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.” -Matthew 17:20

The next time you feel completely wrecked, pause to contemplate the new thing God is doing in your life. Most of us resist the feeling off being completely undone. We want to be strong, confident and sure. In truth, God's work in our lives is profoundly different in the seasons when we feel broken.

Like the seed, we often have to be broken to grow. New life depends on our courage to break out of the shell. Yes, is scary. Being vulnerable is always scary. But, it is, also, where we find new life. Fresh, green, breathing freely and knowing our God is God of all.

Today, I am grateful for the seed.

No comments:

Post a Comment