Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Bug Snacks

  

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 100: Today, I am grateful for bugs you can eat. 

I think these little fruit and veggie bugs are adorable. These are bugs I would consent to eat. They would be adorable on a snack board for a kid's party. 

It reminds me of a phone call from my Jill. We were as close as sisters and with our closest family two hours away, I have no words for the gift her friendship was for 28 years. We raised our boys together through the good, the bad, and the ugly life brings. 

Her Blake was a picky eater. He still is. If she found something he liked, we all celebrated and made sure we had it in the house. Especially if it was easy to serve for lunch or snack. When she called asking how I managed to get Blake to eat a Peanut Butter Sandwich I laughed and asked, "Doesn't he eat them for you?" The answer was a hard "No!" So, I went through my steps. 

White bread... of course. Jiff peanut butter? Is there any other? I can't remember if he ate jelly, but I do remember the final step. I asked her if she "cut the sandwich like an X creating four little triangles that you could make into two butterflies."  No. She had not done that. Apparently, you had to make it into something fun... like a bug... to make them taste good. 

Such a sweet memory from days gone by. 

Remember John the Baptist? He was a cousin to Jesus and the one who would "prepare the way" of the Lord. His diet was interesting and so were his clothes. Jesus was broken when John was beheaded at the whim of a princess. It was one of those times Jesus went to the wilderness to "Be Still" with the Father. He would miss his cousin. 

"John’s clothes were woven from coarse camel hair, and he wore a leather belt around his waist. For food he ate locusts and wild honey." - Matthew 3:4

I don't really want to eat bugs, but these are cute and probably delicious. 

Today, I am grateful for bugs you can eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment