Saturday, April 6, 2024

Coqui Frogs

 



Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 97: Today, I am grateful for coqui frogs.

I think little frogs are so cute. There are so many different kinds of frogs. They are diverse in color and size. They live in different habitats. They have a unique sound that they make. I am enamored with the Coqui frog.

St. Thomas has Coqui Frogs. The tiny tree frog that does not have webbed feet, but little pads on their feet that help them stick to trees and other surfaces. They are one of my favorite sounds on the island along with the sounds of the Caribbean Sea. 

They sound more like  a cricket or a bird than a frog. Only the male sings, He sings during mating season. Native to Puerto Rico, they have made their way to Hawaii, Florida, and the Virgin Island.

They are considered invasive but I love the lullaby they sing. Much like crickets or cicadas, their chirp is loud. Some find it annoying. I think it is a part of nature's choir. 

"Let Heaven and Nature Sing!"

Today, I am grateful for coqui frogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment