Sunday, April 7, 2024

Farming, Family, and Faith

Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 98: Today, I am grateful for the sweet gift of a book about farming, family, and faith. 

I found this book on my doorknob today. It was a gift from a dear friend who has been an encouragement on this gratitude journey from the very beginning. (Love you, Diana)

"Lessons from the Heartland" is exactly what this book was about. I am more than half way through the book and it is not a "political book", although her reluctant entry on to the political landscape is a part of her story. It is her life story up to this point. 

I was stunned when I started reading it. There were so many parallels between her life and the way Matt, April, and I were raised. I think it was the first chapter where she shared about going through her Dad's truck after he died. Like my Dad, it was his office on wheels and it was where you could learn a lot about the man.

Her family was like our family. Our Dad's could be tough. They were determined to mold us into Jesus loving, law abiding, caretakers of the land. They were, also, wise, frugal, and kind. They intentionally seeded grit in their children.  The Mom's were hard working and empathetic. We benefited from both. So did Kristi and her siblings. 

Her dad expected them to work. Mine did, too. I "walked beans" days before my wedding. Dad was not as concerned with my hands staying soft and manicured as I was, but it did result in a bit of a tan. I respected my father... and I walked the beans. If we were home and work needed to be done, we did it. Farm life is all about teamwork. 

Krisiti and her Dad would butt heads. She even left the farm for a while when working together was too much for both of them. She still talked to her Dad every day. The love never waivered between them. As she recalled their last conversation, I remembered mine with my Dad.  

Our Dad's were determined to teach their children to be critical thinkers, unafraid to stand alone. I laughed at many of the stories, because they were our stories, too. They even raised baby racoons. 

The tales she tells about farm life resonate with any of us  who grew up in  a small town or on the farm. Friday night football game are where the social life happens. People show up when you are in trouble and they are there for your celebrations, too. It is not always an easy life, but it is a good one. 

Today, I am grateful for the sweet gift of a book about farming, family, and faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment