Thursday, April 4, 2024

Heavenly Homecomings

 


Daily Gratitude Year 12 - Day 95: Today, I am grateful for Heavenly Homecomings. 

April 5th marks the anniversary of  Dad's Heavenly Homecoming eleven years ago. How can it be that long... and yet it feels like yesterday. I still remember the last phone conversation just a day or two before he died. 

His last day on earth he spent with his two favorites - Matthew and Mama. 

Dad and Matthew moved tractors and implements to get ready for the first day it would be "fit" to plant. They drove around to the different farms and made a plan. They knew which field to plant if it was wet and which one to plant first if we were short on rain. They both delighted in looking it all over with fresh eyes as they did every Spring. 

He went home for lunch with Mama and took his daily power nap after lunch, except on that day, he woke up face to face with his Lord. How incredible it must have been for him! As the song says, "I Can Only Imagine." 

Bless the Lord, Oh My Soul (10,000 Reasons) was one of his favorites. He called it "a farmer's song." We sang it at his funeral. It was a newer song back in 2013. It is still the song that seems to show up on my best days and on my hardest days. 

And on that day when my strength is failing
The end draws near and my time has come
Still, my soul will sing Your praise unending
Ten thousand years and then forevermore
Forevermore - Matt Redman, 10,000 Reasons

Oh what a day of rejoicing it must have been when Mama joined him, too. 

Let all that I am praise the Lord; with my whole heart, I will praise his holy name. Let all that I am praise the Lord; may I never forget the good things he does for me. -Psalm 103:1-2

Today, I am grateful for Heavenly Homecomings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment